Chinese Language Learning Resources
How Parents Can Support Their Children In The Learning Of Chinese Language (CL)
In primary school, your child will be taught the four basic skills of listening, speaking, reading and writing. In addition, there will be an emphasis on spoken and written interaction skills. A differentiated approach has been adopted in primary schools to cater to the needs of children with varying language abilities. Interesting instructional materials and activities are used to engage your child in the learning of the CL.
As a parent, you can help your child by adopting a positive attitude towards learning CL and providing a conducive home environment to use the language. Here are some tips on how you can support your child’s learning:
- Interact with your child in Mandarin and encourage the child to verbalise his/her thoughts in CL. Be nurturing and provide support and encouragement along the way. This will boost your child’s confidence in using the language.
- Read CL storybooks as often as you can with your child. Explain words and phrases that are unfamiliar in simple spoken terms. Explore the content further by letting your child ask questions and discuss with you about the characters, plot events and themes. Publications such as Thumbs Up（大拇指） and Thumbs Up Junior（小拇指） by Lianhe Zaobao can also be used to enhance your child’s reading skill.
- Write with your child to improve his/her writing skill. Assist the child by giving pointers. Not only will this encourage self-expression, it will also deepen the bond between you and your child.
- Play language games with your child to make learning of CL fun. Use resources such as The CL Word Games （语文游戏乐翻天）and the character flash cards Zi Bao Bao（字宝宝） to reinforce his/her learning of the language in an enjoyable manner. These games will help to break down apprehensions that your child might have towards learning CL.
- Sing along with your child or simply be your child’s audience. Children enjoy singing which helps them learn the language in a fun way.
- Learn with your child. Encourage your child to use the iMTL Portal to learn CL. You can also learn along with your child. Help your child to create self directed learning tasks and guide your child to improve his/her presentation.
- Expose your child to Chinese culture such as celebrating traditional Chinese festivals and appreciating Chinese music and songs with him/her.
These activities will increase your child’s exposure to CL in authentic settings and support his/her learning of the language. Keep these sessions short and as frequent as you can. Always be positive and encouraging. Do not dwell on mistakes. Use every opportunity as a teaching moment for the language. Make learning CL fun for your child!
Oracy eLand Parents Brochure [Download PDF]
Oracy eLand is an online interactive learning portal, specially designed for your child. Oracy eLand helps to equip Primary 1 to 3 students with commonly used vocabulary and sentence patterns that they can use in their daily conversations. The portal can be accessed via the link below: http://oracyeland.moe.edu.sg
|Platforms with Learning Resources||Examples of Content on Platforms|
|The Chinese Word Game
This portal has a variety of exciting games in store for your child. These games are designed based on the content in the CL textbooks and will help to reinforce your child’s learning in a fun way.
This is a web-based online interactive portal catering to students from Primary Four onwards. It is designed in alignment with the Chinese syllabus and forms an essential component of the curriculum. With a wide range of functions such as video recording, text-to-speech, speech evaluation and peer feedback, this portal will strengthen students’ language skills in the MTLs through self-directed and collaborative learning.
Last updated on 10 February 2014